Wednesday, April 15, 2015

California Dreaming (Part 1)

Hello from sunny Los Angeles, friends! I'm here until Sunday hanging with my nephews and niece (and their mother.) They're moving back to New York in a few months, which I am SUPER excited about, but there is something to be said about the California weather. Mid 70s and sunny? Yes please!

Photo credit: Rebecca. NOT Adam, who keeps making fun of my blog, despite also being a loyal reader.
As my sister said, you need to post this outfit so that people know you really wear pants! So here they are, doubters. You now have proof of my pants-wearing ways. (If you're surprised to see that I wear pants, you can read more about that here.) I actually really like these pants. I bought them at the end of last summer on super sale, because I felt like I wanted some summer pants, and they've been an excellent addition to my wardrobe.

I also really enjoy this shirt. I was at TJ Maxx a few months ago buying some layering basics, and I saw this on the rack. It's hard to tell in the picture, but the sleeves and back are a stretchy t-shirt material, while the front is a lightweight blouse material. Sometimes it's the fun little details that make the difference. I decided it was worth the $15, and now I'm glad I did.

Kindly ignore the frizz halo. I spent the morning on an airplane.
Look what I spotted on my run yesterday! Aren't they beautiful?  I know it's always spring in California, but coming from New York, I was very taken by the bright colors.


Finally, on a much more serious note, tonight marks the beginning of Yom HaShoah, which is the Jewish Holocaust Remembrance Day (as opposed to the international one, which is in November.) My grandma (pictured below at my college graduation) was lucky enough to get out Berlin with her family in 1937, but of course millions of people were not as lucky as they were. There's a mishnah in Sanhedrin that talks about how anyone who takes a life has not only taken the life of that person, but also of all of their future offspring, up to infinite generations. When I look at the family my grandmother built-- her children, her grandchildren, and now her nine (with two new additions this week!) great-grandchildren, three of whom were lucky enough to know her-- I am filled with sadness to think of all of the generations that never were because of the horrible atrocities perpetrated against the Jews and so many others. So while a fashion blog might seem like a strange place to do this, I want to acknowledge that loss, and my (our) commitment to building a world where such events happen only in history, instead of in the world even to this day. May their memories be for a blessing.


What I'm wearing: Democracy shirt via TJ Maxx, Gap cropped khakis, Downeast Basics camisole, Franco Sarto sandals

No comments:

Post a Comment