Tuesday, April 28, 2015

My Mom Does Stitch Fix! April 2015

Okay, I know what you might be thinking. Rachel, didn't you just get a Stitch Fix??? Indeed I did! And while it was not exactly glorious, everyone certainly had fun. However, this review is not about me. It's about my mom! (If you are wondering what the heck this Stitch Fix thing is that I keep yammering on about, read my intro post here!)


As you might remember from my post last month, my dad and I convinced my mom to try Stitch Fix when my dad realized that my mom kept having to stop in the street to pull up her pants because they were so big on her after she lost weight. She is a big of a picky customer, as she is not super into clothes and privileges being comfortable about everything else, but we have slowly been adding to her wardrobe over the last few months. This is my mom's 4th Stitch Fix, and her second time being on the blog. We were happy to see that her original stylist was back, as her last two fixes have been somewhat of a disappointment.

Look how pretty!
My dad asked me, when I was over taking pictures, why I put my mom on the blog. I would say, a few reasons. First of all, it's fun! And everyone likes fun. Second of all, I've learned from reading other people's blogs that the more pictures of Stitch Fix items people put out there, the easier it is to fine-tune one's requests and get successful fixes. And finally, for people who are considering Stitch Fix, it's useful to see different types of items on different kinds of people. My mom and I have very different styles (not to mention that she doesn't follow my personal modesty guidelines), we are built very differently, and we are also of different generations. So variety is indeed the spice of life, and kudos to my mom for being a great sport.

Here's her style card!
The rules for my mom are different than the ones I made for myself when reviewing Stitch Fix on the blog. She doesn't have to be photographed in anything she didn't like, which will explain why there is sometimes only a photo of the item, and not of her wearing it. (I sort of wished I had that rule with those horrible blue pants. Oh well.)
If she had kept everything, it would have been $234 with her 25% buy it all discount
 Now, without further delay, to the clothes!

Level 99 Giovanni Straight Leg Jean in Grey-- $98
Daniel Rainn Lorena Split Back Silk Blouse in Blue-- $74

This is literally the first time in my entire life that I remember seeing my mom in jeans. And she looked so good! The grey color was a nice departure from the regular blue, and she does have nice legs, which these framed nicely. They were a little too small in the waist, but my mom decided that that would be good motivation to stick to her diet and exercise plan.
Status: Kept!

The blue shirt was less of a success. It was silk, which is not super practical, especially because my mom is about to retire. As you can see, it was sort of long and shapeless. The best detail was in the back, where there was a split opening, but you could see the small of her back, which we all agreed was probably not appropriate for a woman her age. (Sorry I forgot to get a picture of it not on her.) Add that to the fact that she kept a blue sleeveless top from the last fix, and this one was definitely not a keeper. The color did look beautiful on her, though.
Status: Returned

Skies are Blue Ani Crochet Overlay Top in Red-- $54
This was the shirt we all loved out of the box. It has beautiful lace detailing, but it doesn't seem to be fragile or like it would snag easily. (The picture doesn't do it justice, which is on me.) As you can see, the sleeves are sheer for a nice contrast detail. She's wearing it with her Emer pants from her first fix. (See? Don't they look great on her? What's wrong with me that they looked so awful??? Anyway...) Her work is throwing her a big retirement party at the beginning of June. I'm still holding out for a dress for the occasion, but if not, this could be a beautiful outfit option.
Status: Kept!

Mak Jaclynn 3/4 Sleeve Button Up Cardigan in White-- $38
There was one word to describe this-- yawn. I think it was sent as a layering piece to go with the other sweaters, but it looked like a boring old cardigan from Old Navy or something. As my mom says, this is not the sort of thing I need them to send me. It wasn't even worth photographing on.
Status: Returned

41Hawthorn Dita Sleeveless Ponte Dress in Cobalt-- $68


My mom didn't even show this dress to me on. Unclear if she didn't like how it looked, or it was just too blah for her. She already has a beautiful blue dress, and since she only wears dresses once in a blue moon, there was no reason to have two. I made a request for another, more interesting dress (yup, I manage her profile) in the next fix that she might be able to wear to her party, but it seemed clear that this was not it.
Status: Returned

I felt like this fix was much more on point for my mom than the last two, although my mom was a little disappointed. I guess when you went 5/5 the first time around, it's disappointing to only keep one or two items. But there was nothing in this box that I felt was unreasonable for her, and it was nice to see more color! And to not have to take pictures in her office bathroom :)

She's asked for a Stitch Fix gift card for Mother's Day, so she's not giving up yet! Hopefully Margarette will continue to understand her style better and better, and send more items that she'll want to keep so my mom can finally throw those huge and falling apart pants in the trash. (Love you, Mom!)

Want to try your own Stitch Fix? Sign up here! And come back and visit us again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment