Sunday, April 26, 2015

A Sunday in the Garden



One of my favorite movies is You've Got Mail. I know, not the most sophisticated fare, but in addition to being a great sappy love story, the sort of thing for which I am a sucker, it is also a love song for New York, and especially for my neighborhood, the Upper West Side. I remember going to soccer camp in high school and meeting girls from rural New Jersey and Pennsylvania who were amazed to learn that I actually lived in Manhattan. "Wait," one of them asked me. "You're from New York? Are you a prostitute? Have you ever been stabbed?" Umm, not exactly. Instead, to me, even after all of these years, New York continues to be one of the most magical places in the world. (As John Updike said, "The true New Yorker believes that people living anywhere else have to be, in some sense, kidding." Sorry, I sound like a snob. Ok, I know that it is unlikely I will be able to afford to live here forever. So just grant me my happy spring New York, okay?)


 My love of New York is never stronger than it is in the springtime, especially after a particularly horrid winter like the one we had. My parents were generous enough to buy me a new camera for my birthday, so my sister Sarah and I took it to the Conservatory Garden and North Woods in Central Park to try it out. If you've never been to the Conservatory Garden, you are totally missing out. It's on the East Side, with an entrance on 5th at 104th street. It's actually three gardens in one-- an Italian one, an English lawn garden and, my personal favorite, the French garden. We spent most of our time in the French garden, but overall spent a glorious hour or so wandering around, taking pictures, smelling the flowers, and reveling in the beautiful spring day.


Look at me, so happy under the Magnolia
And in case I didn't convince you about New York's glorious beauty, a few of the shots I took with my new toy:




Finally, I've been hearing from a number of you about how much you're enjoying the blog. I'm so glad! Keep reading, and always feel free to let me know your thoughts in the comments, or by emailing me here!

What did you do on your glorious Sunday?

What I'm wearing: Boden skirt (bought during the mid-season sale because who has $68 to spend on a jersey skirt?), Jones New York shirt via TJ Maxx (similar here), Toms shoes (similar here), Gap Factory jean jacket (similar here)

No comments:

Post a Comment