Thursday, April 23, 2015

Stitch Fix Review April 2015: A Stitch Fix Rite of Passage

Hello friends! The moment you have been waiting for since Tuesday has finally arrived. My next Stitch Fix review! (If you want a reminder of how Stitch Fix works, see my earlier blog post here.)

Things have been so busy in the last month that the time flew by and the next thing I knew, I got an email that my fix was coming. Fix days are always an exciting occasion (who doesn't like to get surprises, even if they have to pay for them?) so it was disappointing that my FedEx guy and I were having some communication issues. However, when I arrived home today, my package was waiting at my door! Third time is the charm, I guess.

I will tell you right now that this fix was not super successful. Sadly, Amber, who hit my style on the head last month, was not available to do my fix this month. And while I have to give Shannon an A for effort, most of the things she sent were just not quite right. Let's take a look.


Look how nicely they package everything up for you! So fun to unwrap and see what's inside...
My invoice-- it would have been $232.50 to keep everything
with the 25% discount
My style card
Laila Jayde Savannah Dolman Top in Grey-- $38


 You know how I called this post "A Stitch Fix rite of passage?" This top is one of the reasons why. Based on the blogs I read, everyone gets a Dolman top eventually. Usually what seems to happen is people see them in their box, don't like them, try them on, and find them so comfortable that they decide to keep them.


 Suffice to say, that did not happen to me. I hated this top. It made me look big where I am small, and I totally don't get the arms. Am I supposed to be like a bat? Seriously, what's the deal? Plus, the fabric, while very soft, was super thin. Who would spend $38 on a glorified t-shirt? Answer: not me.
Status: returned!
Am I bat or a person? Nobody is sure!
Pink Martini Morset Textured Cardigan in Turquoise-- $68


What I liked about this sweater: the color. Unfortunately, I like the color so much that I already have a v-neck cardigan in this color. What I didn't like about this sweater: pretty much everything else.


First of all, as you can see, it was HUGE? I don't know who they thought it was a size small for? Maybe some sort of giant monkey? Second, it really reminded me of the dolman top which, as you likely gathered, is not a compliment. Third, what is the point of a sweater with holes in it? Very confusing. Finally, I have a million (not actually, but sort of) v-neck button front cardigans, so I am not looking to add any more to my collection.
Status: returned!

Kut from the Kloth Sylvan Crochet Detail Top in White-- $68



So in theory, this shirt was great. I love crochet and eyelet-type details. This is the sort of detail I love, and I've pinned a lot of things like this on my Pintrest board. Also, a good white button down shirt is not be underestimated. However, in practice, this was not a success.

 The real issue was the modesty problem. How on earth does ANYONE-- even someone who shows shoulders and cleavage-- wear this shirt? Who wants to wear a strapless bra with a button down shirt? And obviously this does not fit the modesty parameters I laid out.


I also wasn't so into the fit. I felt like it was a little boxy, other than around the hips (that almost always happens for me with button down shirts.) Sarit, my lovely photographer, liked the way it looked, but I felt like it was a little matronly. I also didn't like the button cover. She said it would have worked with a high waisted skirt, which is likely true, but there was no way to wear it, so it doesn't matter.
Status: Returned

Margaret M Emer Textured Tall Straight Leg Pants in Colbalt-- $98



The color is a little faded in this picture, but I wanted to show the texture.
This is the other Stitch Fix rite of passage-- the Emer pants. My sister and three of my friends have gotten them and all love them. My mom liked them so much when she got her first pair that she got a second pair in her second fix. So I was super excited to see them on the list. Until I put them on. And then... ooooh no.
It is a sign of how much I love all of you that I am willing to put
a picture of me in these hideously unflattering pants on the internet.
I had asked for colored pants, so that is likely why they sent these to me. The texture REALLY didn't work for me, and neither did the cut. I think they were actually a little too big and that's why they bunched and pulled the way they did? Unclear. But the best way I could think of to describe them was "shiny leggings." That's not a look I've got for since I was six.
Status: Returned

Papermoon Remmie Geo Print Maxi Skirt in Teal Green-- $58



Don't worry, friends. One item was a success! I had also asked for a maxi skirt. I find them difficult to find because most of them have fold-over tops, which isn't a great look for me. But this one came through for me!
This picture was taken at sort of a weird angle so I decided to add some mirror selfies too.
 The skirt is a little too long, but I can fiddle with it in a way that makes it work. I love the pattern and it's super comfortable. I wish the fabric had been a little more substantial and the price a bit lower, but it was definitely worth keeping anyway.


 Status: Kept!

So thus it goes. I'm going to ask for Amber to do my next fix, so hopefully it will be a little more on target than this one. In the meantime, I look forward to wearing my maxi skirt very soon! I think it will look very cute with a jean jacket, or with a black top like I'm wearing it in these pictures, and can have a shirt tucked in or out. As for the other things, perhaps they will find a happy home with someone with different taste than me.

So despite my disappointment, will I do it again? Totally. First of all, I have referral credits to use. Can't waste those! Second, I kept one item I liked a lot, so I see this as successful, if not as much as some previous fixes. Third, I'm hoping that Amber will come back to me. And finally, it's fun! So leave your thoughts in the comments and come again soon!

Want to try Stitch Fix for yourself? Click here and sign up today!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry it wasn't more successful! My SF package came today, waiting for your oversight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bat/person picture is my new favorite from the blog.

    ReplyDelete