Thursday, May 7, 2015

Suburbs Have Staircases!

Today, we continue my exploration of the wonders of suburban living. (AKA, these pictures are also from last weekend.)

In addition to having a yard, in the suburbs, people often have houses! And those houses have multiple floors! For example, I slept on the third floor, where the ceiling was all slanty. Will the wonders never cease? So here I am, making friends with the staircase. Hi, staircase! I am only used to things like you outside of my living space!

Just kidding. I am not actually as much of an alien, or city snob, as I am making myself out to be. But it is true that I have never lived somewhere with an inside staircase.

Anyway. Let's talk about texture for a moment, shall we? I am very into fabrics that have texture, especially ones like this dress, which is otherwise solid. I'm not sure the pictures show it super clearly (next time I wear it I'll take a close up), but this dress actually has a beautiful eyelet overlay over a solid base layer, which makes it much more interesting up close than it appears to be from far away. The attention to detail is what turns it from a plain blue dress into something really special.


I've been trying to use this blog as a way to get a little more adventurous in the way I dress. It hasn't really happened yet, but something I sort of want to try is pattern mixing, which seems scary but seems to work really well on other people? So I'm wondering if using a solid but texture piece might be a good way to start out. We'll have to wait and see.

Finally, this dress is a great lesson of "good things come to those who wait." I loved this dress last year from Boden, but it was too expensive to buy since I knew I would also have to find a sweater to go with it, etc. Then, a couple of months ago, I realized it was on major clearance, plus an extra 15% off. And luckily I got the last one in my size! I've already worn it a few times, and look forward to wearing it with other (brighter!) colors as the weather continues to improve.

Come back next week! Featuring our first Q and A post, and a spotlight on the many glasses of Curly Hair With Glasses. I tell you, the fun never stops.

What do you do to make your look more interesting? Any advice on pattern mixing?

What I'm wearing: Boden eyelet dress (sold out), Boden cropped cardigan, Audrey Brooke flats via DSW

No comments:

Post a Comment