Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Apple of My Eye! Plus, Spending Freeze

Sometimes when I think about my blog, I have to ask Very Important questions. For example, why do I always tilt my head to the side when I have my picture taken? And how come I can't keep my eyes open? The mysteries endure...

Anyway. This skirt is awesome. It's super soft, and I love the apple print. Plus, it's not to heavy, but it is lined, so it works for all seasons. Yay! I used to have a great love of apples, but now I'm allergic (I know, it's weird, but trust me that it's a thing) so this is as close as I can get most days.
Yup, eyes closed again. But look, pockets!
Let's try again in the mirror...
In other news, do you ever open your closet, see soooo much clothing, and then still feel like you have nothing to wear? That's me many mornings, I am embarrassed to say, despite the fact that I have way more clothing than any person could ever need. So, partly inspired by my friend Amy, and partly due to the fact that I am sort of ashamed by the number of things in my closet, I have imposed a spending freeze on myself. It's not that I'm spending money I don't have-- I am way too anal for that-- but instead, that I have decided that I should spend some time getting reacquainted with what I already have to figure out what I actually wear. So from May 1 until at least July 1, I will not buy any new clothing.


I know that going to two months without buying new clothing is not a long time for most people. However, it is on the longer side for me, although not unheard of, and it might be extended beyond that. I just felt like 8ish weeks was a good starting point, because it felt long enough to be substantial, but short enough that I wasn't likely to slip up. Here are the rules:

1. No new clothes, accessories or shoes.
2. Exceptions are made for things I actually need. For example, non-flannel pajamas pants and new running shoes. Because a new knee costs a lot more than new sneakers.
3. I am allowed to exchange things. There are a few things I ordered a long time ago from Boden that haven't come yet. I do not have to send them back, and if I choose to, I am allowed to exchange, but not for more than the cost of the original item.
4. I am allowed to keep getting my Stitch Fix. Mostly because it's fun, and also because I still have account credit. Finally, they tend to send me unusual pieces to add to my wardrobe, which means it's not like what I often do, which is buying versions of the same things over and over.

So far, things are going well, although it's only been a couple of weeks. I did buy one thing before this had been formalized, but since I made my declaration, I have stuck to my rules. I can already tell I'm getting a better sense of what I wear and what I don't, and I'm therefore planning to list some things to sell this week, which will give me more space. I'm mostly writing about this here to keep myself accountable, but also to hear from you-- what do you feel like you have too much of? Have you ever tried a freeze before? How did it turn out for you?

What I'm wearing: Boden skirt, Jones New York shirt via TJ Maxx (similar here), Gap Factory jean jacket (similar here), Toms shoes

1 comment:

  1. the perfect time to immerse yourself in a new skin care regimen!!!

    ReplyDelete