Sunday, May 3, 2015

In Which I Try to Be a Bella

Here are two things about me that I used to be embarrassed about, but have come to embrace. Number one: I love musicals. They're just super happy, and everyone dances, and then you get an earworm for days after. Number two: I love a cappella music. Maybe that's sort of nerdy, and a little college, but whatever. I think the ways that people can blend their voices together to make them sound like instruments is so cool, and I am not ashamed to admit it.

I mention this not because it is true confessions day on the blog (although that might be funny, so maybe we should do that one day), but because the story of how I came to own this shirt is intimately connected to these two loves of mine.

Have you ever seen the movie Pitch Perfect? If not, stop reading and go watch it now. No, seriously.

Okay, you're back? Welcome. Isn't your life better now than it was before? You're welcome.

Anyhoo. In the dramatic, turning point, vomit scene towards the end of the movie, Chloe, who is played by Brittany Snow, wears a super cute loose tunic-type top that is longer in front than in the back, with a pair of fitted jeans. (I couldn't find a good picture, but if you're super committed to the cause, you can google Chloe Pitch Perfect red shirt and you'll see what I'm talking about.) Somehow, that outfit stuck in my mind, and when I saw this shirt on sale at Anthrolopologie last year, I couldn't resist the chance to recreate it.

Not to hate on Pitch Perfect, which i would clearly never do, I like my version better. I'm very into this emerald green color (better reflected in the detail pictures, and the sleeves and neckline both have the pretty flowered detail. Finally, where Chloe's top has pockets, mine has lace! And who doesn't love a little lace? This shirt is also a great example of why I tend to love things at Anthropologie, even though I can rarely afford them. The attention to detail takes what would otherwise be a really ordinary shirt, and turns it into something a little more special.

So those are my guilty pleasure admissions of the day. Less than two weeks until Pitch Perfect 2 comes out! What's your favorite guilty (or not-so-guilty) pleasure?

What I'm wearing: Meadow Rue shirt via Anthropologie (similar here), Madewell jeans, Downeast Basics cami, Toms shoes (similar here)

No comments:

Post a Comment