Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Summer Bucket List: Governors Island

Dear friends, I have so much to tell you about! I just went through my pictures and realized I am two weeks behind. Yikes! I shall try to catch up in the next week or so.


As you know if you have been reading for a while, I am in the midst of studying for the last of my comprehensive exams for my doctorate. The phrase "so close and yet so far" has never felt quite so applicable to my life. Since I have to spend so much of my time reading, I have been trying to do it in beautiful places.


One of those beautiful places was Governors Island. Governors Island is just south of Manhattan, which means it only takes $2 and a 5 minute ferry ride to get there. It is only open from late spring through early fall, but it is one of my favorite spots. It's super quiet, right on the water, has lots to do, and there are no cars. There are art shows, playgrounds and minigolf for kids, and a giant tree house. Also, there are hammocks. I love me some hammocks.

The plan had been to lie in said hammock and read, but it was a little too hot and the hammocks are all in the sun, so I had to relocate to a lawn chair under a tree. I know, life is hard. It was a beautiful day and I actually read two whole books, so a productive one too. There's something to be said for getting away from your computer when you actually want to get work done.

And, of course, I had to explore a little bit, and take some pictures.





Not a bad view for reading, right?



After looking at these pictures, I think I'm done with this skirt. It sits lower now than it used to, and I am not convinced it is super flattering. Or at least, there are certainly better options in my closet. So good bye, random British skirt. You served me well for the last five years.

What I'm wearing: Jones New York shirt via TJ Maxx (similar here), random super old British skirt, Franco Sarto sandals via DSW (similar here)

No comments:

Post a Comment