Sunday, June 28, 2015

Love Wins.

No matter your politics, whether you think it's for better or for worse, I think we can all agree that last week, America changed forever.
All rainbow, all the time.
Having grown up on the Upper West Side before it was all banks and pharmacies, I met my first gay couples as a very young child, and I don't remember ever thinking it was particularly weird. I also remember, when a friend came out to me for the first time, simultaneously realizing that it was a very big deal for her, and feeling like it didn't really make a difference to me. However, being straight myself, I don't think I ever thought seriously about the opportunities that I took for granted that were being denied to my friends until the amendments against gay marriage began to pass across the country.
How cool is it that this baby will grow up thinking
that gay marriage is just marriage?
I think that's why, sort of to my surprise, I was so moved and excited following the Supreme Court ruling on Friday. Certainly, my gay friends still face many challenges that I would never have to think about, and because of that the fight isn't over. However, knowing that they can get married, that their children will not have to worry about whether both of their parents are legally considered their parents, that they will be able to visit each other if something happens and someone is in the hospital-- that is so huge. And also, knowing that the government is finally recognizing what has been clear to me as I have watched some of my friends fall in love-- that there is no way that these couples being together could possibly do anything other than sanctify the institution of marriage-- is so moving. Not to mention the fact that (yes, in our East Coast bubble), my nephews and niece and the children I might have one day will grow up just calling it "marriage" instead of "gay marriage," is nothing short of extraordinary.

So in celebration of all of this, and in solidarity with a community that is still working to protect itself and its rights, following Father's Day (Observed), my cousins and I headed down to the parade. Pride is always very festive and super fun (if not always PG-rated), but it felt especially special this year, with people dressed up as brides, carrying banners that said "Love Wins," and, in one case, holding a sign that said "I've been with my partner for 49 years and now, finally, we are equal in the eyes of the law." Whatever the religious and cultural and political issues, to me, this kind of love overcomes it all. And love is love.
Cousins! Believe it or not, we are actually related.
So here some of the better shots from the afternoon. (I didn't have a great spot, so this was sort of the best I could do.)





Love is love. Love wins.

What I'm wearing: Jones New York top via TJ Maxx (similar here), Boden pleated skirt

1 comment:

  1. Yes, love is love! Love wins!
    So glad, Rachel, Danielle and Juliana, that you were there! A historic celebration!

    ReplyDelete