Thursday, June 18, 2015

So Much Joy!

After what happened in Charleston today, I felt like I couldn't update the blog. It didn't seem right to focus on something admittedly frivolous in light of the horrible hatred and violence that caused nine lives to be snuffed out.

And then I went to one of the most beautiful l'chayims I've ever been to. A l'chayim, for those of you who are not familiar, is an engagement party of sorts, but less formal. It usually happens immediately following an engagement, and is a chance to mark the first step on the journey of a couple deciding to spend their lives together.





My second year of grad school, I had a chevruta (or study partner) named Alex. Alex was dating a ton the semester we were learning together, and one of the guys he went out with was my younger sister's dear friend from Hebrew School, also named Alex. (I know, confusing.) Even though they met online, my family apparently gets credit for fake introducing them! (We actually had them each for Rosh Hashanah one night apart from each other shortly before they started dating.) Hooray!

Long story short, their dating turned into a serious relationship, which turned into them getting engaged on Sunday. And tonight, I was lucky enough to help them celebrate this wonderful moment in their lives.


Yoni told me to growl like a tiger. Apparently I am very
obedient. Awks.
I've been lucky to spend time with Alex and Alex as a couple, as one Alex is the rabbinic intern at my parents' synagogue, and the other Alex has been coming to our family for Jewish holidays for a number of years. I can honestly say that they are one of the best couples I've ever met. The way they talk about each other, and look at each other, is magical. It's so comforting to know that, in a really dark time, there are sparks of love bringing light into the world.


Additionally, striped shirt Alex is maybe this blog's biggest fan. So the least I could do was put him on the blog in honor of this momentous occasion. He wanted everyone to know that he's wearing a shirt from TopMen, which is the men's shop of TopShop. Stylin'.

Rachel sandwich with Alex bread!
AKA me lucky enough to stand between the two parts of
 one of the best couples I've ever met.
So in honor of their engagement, and the reminder that there is still love in the world to counter hate, this blog post goes out to Alex and Alex. May you always be as happy together as you are today. Mazal tov!

What I'm wearing: Boden dress, Kosher Casual shell, Bare Traps sandals (similar here)

No comments:

Post a Comment