Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Giant Fail: Stitch Fix Review June 2015

Oh Stitch Fix, why do you do this to me? You send me amazing fixes on the odd numbers, and then terrible ones on the evens. What's that about? Suffice it to say that fix #6 was not a success. Ladies and gentlemen (because I know you're out there), we have our first 0/5 fix. Sad Rachel.

(For info about how Stitch Fix works, see my earlier post here.)

I asked Alison to style me again this time, and asked for things that are color, and things that are work-appropriate. While I mostly get where she was going, there were a couple of exceptions where I sort of wondered, what was she thinking? But it was a fail. Let's take a look.




My styling card! Good, but only in theory.
My total would have been $227.50 if I had kept everything. 
Skies are Blue Winston Button Down Blouse in Green-- $28.00

This shirt looked good until I put it on. And then... not so much. First of all, the material was super scratchy. Second, it looked like a maternity shirt-- not what you want to see when you are tiny on top and sort of bottom heavy. (Believe it or not, it looks better in the pics than in real life. It was not pretty.)



Also, it seemed to be shorter in the back than in the front. What's what about? Is that for hiding a second person underneath?
I googled around to find how other people wore this, and everyone had the same complaint as me. Also, the price for others was higher, so I wonder if everyone returns this, so they discounted it to try to get rid of it? Well, Stitch Fix, you won't fool me! Nice try.
Status: Return

Fun2Fun Binder Tie Neck Top in Pink-- $48



This shirt was the most promising in the bunch. I really liked the concept and it was super soft. But then there were some problems.


                                                    
First, the arms had elastic that was SO TIGHT. Like, cutting off my circulation tight. I know that my arms are a little out of proportion in size based on the rest of my body, but this was really ridiculous.


Second, it reminded me a lot of the shirt I got in Fix #3. I love that shirt, but I definitely don't need two of them.
Third, while it fit around the hips, it was too loose on top-- I could tell I would have to keep adjusting it to stop my tank top from showing.
Finally, the material didn't look so nice up close. If I'm going to spend $48 on a shirt, I need it to look a little more high quality
Status: Returned

Street Level Morris Braided Handle Tote in Blue-- $78

In theory, I could have gotten behind this bag. I liked the color. But then I held it up and it was HUGE. Even bigger than my backpack. Not being a mom, if I don't have said backpack, I have no reason to carry this much stuff.


Also, the bag smelled sort of funny. It probably would have gone away, but for $78, I can't deal with a smell. In fact, I'm not sure there's much that can get me behind a $78 bag, but it would certainly have to be love, and this was not.


It did have a messenger strap, which was cool. Oh well. Good bye, bag.

Status: Return

Level 99 Patrick Cropped Chino Pants in Light Blue-- $88

Not much to say. Unflattering in the thighs. Impractical (too casual for work, too much like other things i have for weekends.) Color that stains easily. Super expensive for casual pants. No thank you.


Status: Return

La Made Ida Striped Shirt Dress in Navy-- $98

 I saved the worst for last. Oh, this dress. Sooooo bad. First of all, it is basically a glorified beach cover-up, and who spends $98 on a beach cover up? Second, this is NOT a shape that works for the pear shaped among us. It hugged my thighs like crazy. Why would you give a dress in this silhouette to a bottom heavy person? Makes no sense. In case you're wondering why there are no pics of me wearing it, it's because I looked 5 months pregnant, and even I have limits.


Also, the fabric was much flimsier than it should have been for the price. I assume that it was sent to me because I pinned a bunch of striped dresses, but they were all with a full skirt. This is the opposite of that. BAD. Good bye, terrible dress. You will not make me feel bad about myself anymore.

Status: Returned

I confess that it was sad to get this bad of a box during the spending freeze, when I have extra money around. Perhaps this was my punishment for getting a box during the freeze? Could be...

So you might be thinking, wow Rachel, that's a massive fail. Are you done with Stitch Fix? Nope! Of all of my bad fixes, this is the one that was most on target. There was nothing in here where I thought, Why on earth was this sent to me? It was the right idea, but then very off. Also, it's still so exciting when my box comes. And remember-- it's only clothing! A bad box is not the end of the world. So let's keep on keeping on.

Are you ready to order your own Stitch Fix???

1 comment:

  1. Aww, that's too bad you didn't like your fix. It has to be hard for the stylists to know what's work-appropriate for everyone. I'd think the LA made dress (which I personally love) and the chinos (maybe a size up) would be work-appropriate, but then I work in a casual environment. Better luck next time!

    lifeofliza.com

    ReplyDelete