Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Summer Bucket List: Storm King Art Center

The summer bucket list continues! I am only two weeks behind with this post! Can we pretend it's because I'm too busy having fun, and not because I'm working all the time?


A couple of Sundays ago, my friend Dahlia and I ventured out of town to the Storm King Art Center, in New Windsor, NY. It's basically a huge, sprawling outside sculpture garden which you can read about here. It's always nice to get out of the city for the day, especially on a beautiful, sunny (if hot) day. I had never been before, but I had heard it was beautiful, and it certainly did not disappoint.

I tried to reach the statue! So close, and yet so far...
 My favorite part, I think was the special exhibit on sculptures with water, especially the pink ones you can see here. They looked sort of like they were made of melted wax, and they were also neon pink so that was cool.


Can you see me poking out behind the fountain?
Ahhh, giant Buddha, don't smush me!
The other highlight was the beautiful landscape, which would have been worth visiting even if there hadn't been any art. The water, trees, and rolling green fields with wide open skies were, to put it mildly, a bit of a change from my usual surroundings. There were also some sculptures integrated into the landscape itself, like Maya Lin's waves and the stone wall you see me standing next to in the first picture.
The view...
For a day like this, it's important to wear comfortable shoes to be ready for a lot of walking, and lightweight clothing because the sun was so strong. I also go to wear my fedora-- score! I love wearing my fedora, but it's rare that I get to do so without people thinking I'm either married or a hipster. So I embraced the opportunity.

What are your favorite outdoor spaces for summer?

What I'm wearing: Eshakti skirt (similar here), Kosher Casual shirt, Bare Traps sandals (similar here), fedora bought at Santa Monica Pier.

1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo for the fedora bought at the Santa Monica Pier! Love that hat!

    ReplyDelete