Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Fall/ Winter Bucket List: A Day at the High Bridge


Ironically, these pictures are from October. Ironic because I look like I'm dressed for December, whereas I have not had to put a hat on since then, even though it's now actually December.

Anyway. Cold weather aside, one Sunday afternoon, Talia, Talya and I set out for the High Bridge. (They are not pictured because they never signed their release form. By which I mean I promised not to put them on the blog without their permission, which they never gave me.)


For those of you not familiar with what the High Bridge is-- it's the oldest standing bridge in New York City! Many years ago, the High Bridge was a main connector, allowing people to walk from the Bronx to Manhattan and back. Then, for many years, it was closed and left to decay. But after a renovation, it's now back and really beautiful. There's a park on the Manhattan side, including many outdoor sculptures. Hence the picture above.


 After spending a little bit of time exploring the park, we wandered over the bridge itself. It was described to me as a less crowded High Line. That wasn't completely accurate; it lacks the urban agricultural feel and flowers that you have at the High Line. However, it is also very beautiful, and definitely less crowded. It has been beautifully restored, and there are plaques on the ground which tell the history of the bridge, its surrounding area, and the different ways water has been transported into the city. I give it an enthusiastic two thumbs up.

The view from the bridge.
 Let's talk a bit about my outfit, and then I will leave you some more pretty pictures. I wanted to dress in layers because of the freakishly cold weather. I went with my transitional seasons coat, which I believe I bought at Filene's Basement back when that was a thing, which tells you how old it is. It has held up very well. But because my coat and skirt were both black, I also wanted to add some color. The solution? Colored tights, a patterned scarf, and a sparkly hat. I am super into this hat. It's not itchy and warm but not too warm. It's sparkly, but not obnoxiously so. What else could a girl want?



What I'm wearing: Guess coat (similar here), NY and Company skirt, Hue tights, Born boots (similar here), GAP scarf (similar here), hat bought at a random stand in Israel (similar here)

2 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! Will put on our bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that you had a good time at the High Bridge. Yes, it is not crowded at all. The historic importance of the Aqueduct for the City of New York is immense. For all the latest buzz on the High Bridge, Highbridge Park, and the immediate surrounding neighborhoods: Past, Present and Future see highbridgeparkdevelopment.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete