Tuesday, December 15, 2015

A for Effort: Stitch Fix Review December 2015

Ok, true confession time. I did not blog about my November Stitch Fix. (Gasp!)

Here's the thing. It wasn't terrible or anything. It was just nothing special. I ended up sending everything back because there was nothing that screamed out to me, "Keep me in your wardrobe!" and I am trying to be selective these days. Combine that with the fact that it arrived on the day of my last comp, when I was double slammed with jet lag and a horrible cold, and it just didn't happen. Hopefully you all will forgive me.

However, lucky for all of you/ unluckily for me, I have yet another stomach virus (I know, how can that even be possible), so there is nothing to do but lie in bed and update my blog. So now, we move on to fix #13, my December Fix.

For a review of how Stitch Fix works, click here.

As you can see, I named this post "A for Effort." Everything Alison sent me was theoretically spot on, but I only ended up keeping one thing, much to my sadness. Let's see what happened.


Nice combo of colors = a good start 
For this fix, I had asked for a few things. First, for it to be a bit more budget conscious. (My last fix contained a $98 sweater, which was just never going to happen.) Second, for some dresses, especially the gold one Sarit got. And finally, things with special details or a little bit of sparkle.
Look, two dresses!

I had a little bit of credit, which is always nice. If I had kept everything, it would have been $227 total, which doesn't feel crazy for two dresses, two sweaters, and a blouse. However, I did not keep everything. Let's see what happened.

(Apologies for the mirror selfies. I just didn't get around to having someone take my picture, which ended up being for the best, since I was very very ill only a few hours after these were taken. But you get the idea.)

Collective Concepts Helma Dress in Black-- $78


This was the dress Sarit got, that I loved. Obviously Sarit is much shorter than me, but she had gotten it in petite, so I was hoping that it would be long enough in regular. As it turns out, not so much.

You might be thinking, Hey Rachel, we can't see the bottom of the dress! To which I would say, Yes, because this is a modest fashion blog, and here was nothing modest about the length of this dress on me. Also, as you can see, it's a little tight on bottom, but also too loose on top. I must remember in the future, shift dresses are not my friend.


Nothing like something that makes you look lumpy and shapeless at the same time. Don't I look thrilled?
Status: Returned

Collective Concepts Katelynn Polka Dot Dress in Black-- $88

Again, you can feel the ecstasy. This is one of those pull over dresses that has no real shape other than the elastic waist. I have never found one of these dresses that looks good on my body, as it always swallows my top half. Add to the fact that the fabric was a super lightweight and cheap feeling polyester, and there was no way I was keeping it for $88 even if I had liked the shape. I do love me some polka dots, but that's the extent of positive feedback I have for this.

Also, when did dresses that are longer in front and back and shorter on the sides become a thing? So many mysteries, so little time... to put this dress back in the box and return it.
Status: Returned

Papermoon Alvar Bead Detail Top in Olive-- $54

Here's the thing, guys. Olive is just not my color. Shirts that are see through are not my style. And beads that are gold versions of the little silver balls I used to use to decorate my cupcakes are not something I need in my wardrobe.

Alison sent this because I asked for sparkle. I had had something more shimmery/ sequin-y in mind, but that's on me for not being more specific. It actually mostly fit me very nicely, but that's sort of the only positive thing I could say about it. Again, good concept. failed execution.

Status: Returned

41Hawthorn Lizzy Colorblock Striped Sweater in Grey-- $68

The fact that they called this grey was confusing to me, as it is clearly actually navy. This was the item I was most on the fence about. It was SO soft. I love stripes and I love color blocking. It fit me very nicely, in my humble opinion.


However, I did ultimately send it back. There were two strikes against it. First, the navy-- I own a ton of navy already. Also, I don't like wearing navy with dark jeans, and I don't wear it with black, which makes knowing what I should wear it with confusing. Second, it was the sort of fabric I could imagine starting to pill right away. Don't get me wrong, I have my fair share of pilly sweaters and I wear them all the time. But that, combined with the color and the price, forced me to exercise my self-control and return it. I might still ask for it in another color, though. We shall see.
Status: Returned

Mak Coffman Button Up Cardigan in Red-- $48

Fear not my friends! The final item was something I loved! As you all know, if you have been reading along, I love a good cardigan and wear them multiple times a week. Also, at first glance, yes, just a plain red cardigan. As it turns out, though, I have almost no red in my wardrobe. And then, when you look closer...

It has this very pretty crochet detail on the arms and the neckline that make it a little more interesting. It's pretty lightweight, so I would say I don't expect to wear it much before spring, but it's like 60 degrees every day here now, so maybe when I finally take off my pajamas, it will have its debut. As you can see in that awkward selfie above, I am pleased. Yay! Also, with my $25 of credit, it was $23. Happy Rachel.
Status: Kept!

So thus ends my December Stitch Fix. Even though I only kept one thing, I continue to have lots of fun, and also to feel like Alison gets what I like, even when I don't keep everything. Coming up in he January fix: clothes for work, as I'm going to be a professor! (True story!)

Want to get in on the fun? Sign up for your first fix here. And wait, if you use the code HOLIDAYTREAT, you can get your first fix without any styling fee-- risk free!

No comments:

Post a Comment