Sunday, October 25, 2015

Adventures in Pattern Mixing

One of the fashion trends that most intrigues me but also scares me is pattern mixing. When done well, it looks so cool. And when done badly, you just look sort of like a three year old who insisted on dressing herself. (Not that that's not bad for said three year old. But three year olds can pull of things that 30 year olds cannot.)

Our super elegant, not at all dated or ugly hallway
One of my fashion resolutions for the new year was to be more adventurous in my clothing choices. So when I saw this dress at Fox's it seemed to fit the bill perfectly. It mixed patterns, but in a way that worked because it was made that way. It was a shape that I was comfortable with, to make up for the less comfortable pattern mixing. Plus, it had sleeves. And it fit perfectly. The only problem-- it was about three inches too short.

But wait! There was a large hem! So I bought the dress and took it straight to the tailor who told me no problem, he could definitely let it out. Hurrah! Never underestimate the power of getting things tailored. It can change the whole ball game.

I wore it to synagogue the first night of Rosh Hashanah, and then a couple of more times since. The fabric is a scuba-type stretch, so it's versatile enough to be worn with sandals or with boots. I love it when I don't have to put my dresses away for the winter.

Here's a close up of the patterns:


I get many compliments every time I wear it. And I love it more every time. Look for it to be back on the blog soon, styled for winter.

And now, back to my books. Enjoy the last of the weekend, everyone!

What I'm wearing: Taylor mixed print dress (here, but for a lot more than I paid for it), Dr. Scholls sandals (similar here)

No comments:

Post a Comment