Tuesday, October 27, 2015

A Leopard Print Fanny Pack and a Shabbat Kallah

No, not my leopard print fanny pack. Don't you know me at all???


By now, you all know about Sarit, as I write about her all the time. The reason I write about her all the time is because she is the best. Well, luckily for everyone, her fiance Abe had the common sense to recognize her best-ness, and they are getting married on Sunday!

I'm not much for wedding-related events. I like weddings, but bachelorette parties are not my speed and showers are boring. However, the one tradition I really love is a Jewish one, called a Shabbat Kallah. The Shabbat Kallah takes place before the wedding-- sometimes right before, sometimes a few weeks before-- and is a chance for the bride's friends and family to gather to tell stories and offer blessings to the bride as she gets ready to embark on the next phase of her life. And eat a lot of cake, because really, why not.

I threw Sarit a Shabbat Kallah a few weeks ago. We don't have any pictures from the event itself, as we don't take pictures on Shabbat, but once Shabbat was over, we took a couple. And here they are!

The first time I ever met Sarit, she was very very ill and I was trying not to catch her germs. The second time, we were on our way to Mexico with American Jewish World Service, and she was wearing a leopard print fanny pack. Or should I say, rocking it. Because that's the thing about Sarit. She is fully who she is, and owns it all the time. Even when it involves fanny packs. So in honor of this great occasion, she broke it out again, as you can see below. (There was also a purple feathered crown, but that had sadly been taken off by this point.)

I always find the seasonal transition a little challenging in terms of what to wear. If it's too hot to wear boots but too cold to not wear tights, I sometimes have trouble figuring out which shoes would make sense. These are my first pair of booties. You can't see them so well in the picture, I now realize, but they look sort of like a low boot type of oxfords. A little funny looking, but I am very into them and you will definitely be seeing them again soon.


Obviously there will be a post about Sarit's wedding, if only because the dress I am wearing is awesome. But in the meantime, let me take this chance to say, here's to one of the best people I know, who is one of the best friends I have. Yay and mazel tov to Sarit and Abe!

What I'm wearing: Boden skirt (old, similar here), Charter Club cardigan, Kosher Casual shell, Lucky Brand booties (this season's version here), Hue tights

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post!
    So so sorry we will miss your wedding, Sarit and Abe! But Irv, Sarah and I will raise a glass to toast you in Kathmandu!

    ReplyDelete