Thursday, October 29, 2015

#100! And Some Reflections on Blog Having

OMG, dear readers. This is our ONE HUNDRETH BLOG POST!!!! Can you believe it? If you have read every single post-- and I know some of you are out there-- then pat yourself on the back! And please accept my deep thanks for your loyalty to this crazy, funny, hopefully enjoyable project.

 So since we are up to the 100th post, I thought I would take a time out from our regularly scheduled shenanigans and reflect a bit on what it's been like for me to write this blog.


 As some of you know, I basically started this blog on a whim. I walked into the library one day and said, "I think I want to start a modest fashion blog." And one of my friends said, "You should do it!" And thus Curly Hair with Glasses was born.


 Because it was not a thought-out process, I wasn't really sure what to expect. Were people going to read? Was I going to feel too shallow and self-indulgent? Would I have enough to say? Is my wardrobe really so interesting? I made a deal with myself which was basically, if and when it stopped being fun, I would shut the whole thing down. It should never feel like an obligation.


 So from this angle, this has been a big success. Every week or so, someone tends to shyly tell me that they love the blog. Which is so nice! So I say, Don't be shy! I love the blog too! And I write it to make you happy! So please keep the feedback coming.


 Also, it's fun for me. It's a great chance to get out of my head and think about something other than the Talmud or how stressful grad school is. A nice little self-contained study break, and a chance to say some things, if only in writing/ virtually. (One of the craziest things about grad school is how easy it is to go a whole day without talking to anyone.)

 Additionally, the blog has made me stretch myself in some surprising ways. For example, take the summer bucket list. While it's possible I would have done it without the blog, I'm not convinced. And then it ended up being one of the best things I ever did, so much so that I'm doing another one. The blog pushed me to do new, exciting, and interesting things, if only to have things to write about.

 The blog has also helped me define my modesty boundaries. I know that might sound strange, especially since I haven't written an On Modesty in a while (soon, I promise!), but sometimes when I'm trying something on, I think, Would I feel comfortable putting this on the blog? And if the answer is no, then I have to think about why that is, and whether I think I should actually be wearing it. While I certainly am not organized enough to take blog pictures every day, I try not to wear anything that I wouldn't feel comfortable being photographed in. It's been a surprisingly helpful barometer.

 Finally, it's made me push my fashion boundaries. While I had a vague sense that I wore something similar most days, I didn't realize the extent of it until I started writing about my clothes. Since then, I have experimented a lot more with colors, patterns, and things I thought couldn't work for my body. Do I look my best every day? Probably not. But I would rather try something than stay away because I'm too scared. True for clothes, true for life. And if I didn't make poor choices sometimes, then there would be no pictures for my future children to laugh at how silly I looked. So there you go, future children. This one is for you.


 So thank you all for reading! I hope you're enjoying this funny little journey we're on together, because I certain am. Please leave your comments below, if you have any, telling me what you like, don't love, or what to see going forward. Here's to the next 100 posts!


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching 100! And namaste from Nepal! We were talking about how beautiful many of the saris are here. Maybe you can buy one? They are certainly within the bounds of modest attire. Love, Your loyal reader/Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your blog! Thanks for keeping it going :)

    ReplyDelete