Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Summer Bucket List: Take Me Out to the Ball Game #1

I am now officially halfway done with the bucket list! I am so successful at having fun, guys!


I'm behind on the blog a bit, so I haven't written about all 12 things yet, but consider this the next step. Two weeks ago, I went with a bunch of friends to see the Brooklyn Cyclones.

For those of you who are not familiar with the Cyclones, they are a class-A short season farm team for the Mets. So as far as baseball goes... well, they're not the best. In this particular instance, they had more errors than runs. And it wasn't because there was a shut-out.


However, there's something really fun about minor league baseball. First, the tickets are way cheap, and there aren't really any bad seats, so that's cool. Second, because the baseball isn't great, they do all sorts of ridiculous and kitschy things between innings which are just hilarious to keep people entertained. Third, the stadium is really nice in this case, with a view of the Coney Island amusement park and the beach. And finally, you don't really care who wins, so there's none of the stress that fans sometimes feel at Major League games.


When the Cyclones first started playing, all of their games would sell out, because it was the first professional baseball in Brooklyn since the Dodgers had left in the 1950s. (Hence the Jackie Robinson and PeeWee Reese statue behind me.) Now, the stadium is much emptier, but it means you can choose to go on an impulse. Other bright side: kosher food! Yes, it's not cheap, but it's not any more expensive than other stadium food, and I love it when I can feel like a normal person and eat at public events.



When going to a baseball game, it is important to be dressed for the occasion, and for the sun and heat. So baseball caps and comfortable shoes are a must. And meanwhile, I got to wear my super fun Parks and Rec t-shirt! If you don't get the reference, then you should stop reading and go learn about the wonder that is Leslie Knope immediately. No, but really.

This is where the mascot flirted with me and I got
sort of freaked out. Awks.
And coming soon: my trip to the Staten Island Yankees. So much minor league baseball, so little time.

Have you experienced the fun of minor league baseball? What do you do for summer fun on the weekend?

What I'm wearing: GAP khakis, Look Human Little Sebastian shirt, Chacos sandals, '47 Yankees hat


No comments:

Post a Comment