Friday, July 24, 2015

The Perfect Maxi: Stitch Fix Review July 2015

Dear readers, it is Stitch Fix time again! It actually came last week, I am just sort of behind, as always.... (For a reminder of how Stitch Fix works, read my post on it here.)

As you might remember, my last fix was... well... basically a bust. Stitch Fix was kind enough to refund my styling fee and send me a new fix, which I really appreciated. In that fix, I ended up keeping one shirt, but I didn't bother blogging about it because it was sort of blah. However, the beauty of Stitch Fix is that each month we get to try again! And I am happy to report that Stitch Fix has me as a very happy customer again this July.


The view inside. Pretty colors!
 I had asked for more specific things this time than in past fixes, and also asked Alison to style me again. I am coming to have a great affection for Alison. I had asked for an everyday bag that wasn't too big in a bright color, a maxi dress (I'll explain why later), and the Leota Amandine dress, which I had fallen in love with when I saw it on another blog.

If I had kept everything it would have been
$259.00. Yikes!
My style card.
 This fix was a little pricey for me, and the wallop was made even worse by the fact that I finally ran out of credit, so after my last $20 of credit I had to start paying for my own fixes again. Bummer. (I guess free fixes 2-7 = can't complain...) However, I went into everything with an open mind, rationalizing that the spending freeze meant that I had a little extra money to spend. Luckily, I didn't want to keep everything. Shall we take a look?

Urban Expressions Caroline Hobo Bag in Light Green-- $68

Notice that I'm wearing my awesome dress from Fix #5!

 Here is what I liked about this bag: It was super high quality. If I had liked it, it would have been worth the money, I think.
Here is what I didn't like about this bag: Everything else. It was, again, way too big. I am not the tassel type of person. The color was not bright, but instead was simply asking to get dirty.

Don't I look thrilled? Umm... yay?
I was not sad to put this one back in the box.
Verdict: Returned

Leota Amandine Faux Wrap Dress in Black-- $138
Sorry about the giant hair. That's summer
in New York for you...
This is the dress I asked for. But I did now know about the price. Yikes! I loved it out of the box, but was a little disappointed in the fabric quality in the skirt for the price. It felt flimsy and pretty thin for a dress that cost almost $150. But it was so pretty!


 So then I put it on, and I didn't quite like it. It was a tiny bit too tight in the hips (not an uncommon problem for pear-shaped me) and a drop shorter than I would have liked. I confess that while I was sad that it didn't work, but also sort of relieved. Good bye, beautiful dress. I hope you make someone else very happy.

 Verdict: Returned

 Gilli Shay Maxi Dress in Light Grey-- $74
41Hawthorn Abrianna Long Sleeve Knit Cardigan in Navy-- $48
There's the happy face!
I have always wanted a good maxi dress, but I have found them surprisingly difficult to find. The problem is, since I need sleeves over or under, the dresses have a way of swallowing me. So I asked Alison to do what I couldn't do, which was find me a maxi dress that worked. And man did she succeed!

First of all, she sent this super soft navy cardigan to go over the dress. I wasn't going to keep it, but then I saw it in the pictured and loved how it looked with the dress. But then I remembered I have two navy grandpa cardigans already, and do not need to spend $48 on another one. Especially in the middle of the summer.



 However, there was no doubt that the dress was staying with me forever. I think the mixed media of the dress is what makes the layering work, because the pattern doesn't get too busy and consume me. It's also the perfect length and fit perfectly. Thanks Alison! A job well done to you!
New lighting for better reflection of the colors
 Verdict: Cardigan was returned, dress was kept!

Skies Are Blue Kavinski Button Down Blouse in Turquoise


 You'll notice that I'm not wearing this shirt. That is because of the sleeve length. Tooooo short. Also, I did try it on just because I was curious, but it was HUGE and also super boxy. The color is beautiful, but also very similar to a shirt that I kept from fix #2. I wasn't sad to see this one go. Good bye, immodest (for me) and unflattering shirt.

Verdict: Returned

So you might be wondering-- Rachel, you said you were so happy with your fix, but then you only kept one thing! What gives? And I would tell you, well, dear reader, that the one thing I kept, I LOVED. I also felt that this fix was super on target, and I would have kept three of the things if it hadn't been for fit and redundancy issues. So I am a happy camper. Don't you want to try a fix for yourself? You won't be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment