Thursday, January 28, 2016

The East Wing...


Dear readers, as you might remember, a few weeks ago I took a mini vacation and went down to DC to visit my many friends who live there. It was a great trip filled with awesome people, fun activities, and new explorations. But by far the coolest part was my trip(s!) to the White House.

A White House tour of the East Wing is actually not super hard to come by. Anyone can sign up for one through their congressional representative; you just have to make sure you do it far enough in advance. However, I had an in. My super cool friend Cindy works for the White House and being the kind and generous person that she is, she set up not one but TWO tours for me while I was there.

Hi Cindy!
The first tour happened Thursday, which was the East Wing tour. It's self guided, so you can wander around for as long as you want. I knew the names of a lot of the rooms from reading the paper and watching way too much West Wing (as if such a thing were possible), but the main thing I was struck by was how much smaller everything was than when you see it on TV. For example, the spot where Cindy and I are standing above is in front of the hallway that President Obama walked down to announce that they had killed Bin Laden. It's actually a fairly short hallway. Cindy says that they use wide angle lenses to make everything look bigger. The secret's out!


After majorly geeking out for a long time, I finally said my good byes and went on my way-- mostly because I knew that I would be back on Sunday! Then I made some friends outside of the building and we all took a million pictures of each other.

The other highlight of the day was the Renwick Gallery, which recently reopened after a long renovation. There's currently a 9 installation exhibit on wonder, and I have to say that it was one of the best exhibits I have seen in a long time. Here are some highlights:

These were piles made entirely out of
notecards, styrofoam, tape, and toothpicks.

The inside of a perfect cast of a tree, made
entirely out of wooden blocks.
 Because I knew I was going to be running around all day, I wanted to be comfortable, but because I was going to the White House, I wanted to dress in a manner that showed respect for the office. So I ended up putting an easy cardigan over a shell with a wrap skirt and my super comfy boots. The scarf was added for warmth and a little bit of sparkle. And speaking of color and sparkle:


BOOM. If that's not wondrous, I don't know what is. Have a great weekend, everyone!

What I'm wearing: Boden skirt, Kosher Casual shell, LOFT cardigan, HUE tights, Diba boots via DSW, Betsy Johnson infinity scarf via DSW

No comments:

Post a Comment