Monday, June 6, 2016

Big News!!

Happy Monday, friends! I hope you all had a great weekend, wet as it was here in New York.

Work started last week for the summer, so I am teaching and happy as a clam. (I'm not sure what makes clams happy, but okay.) Unfortunately, this has meant that I have lost all motivation to work on my prospectus, which now just sits open on my computer staring at me forlornly as I desperately do anything else and try to pretend I don't see it.

Right after I got back from Israel, NY had a crazy heat wave. Not quite the 106 degrees I had there, but here we have humidity, which is basically the devil. These pics were taken the day I got back, before it got bad, so you can see both my sunburn and the fact that I did not sweat through my clothing at all! Good for me. Shaina and I went for a walk, so we snapped some pics in front of this garden on Riverside Drive. As you can see, this is not the most interesting thing I've ever worn, but I liked the contrast of the different patterns and blues with the dress and shoes.


And look at my cute new bag! Purchased after much dithering at DSW. So far it is giving me much joy. Hurrah for a brightly patterned purse.


As the title says, I have big news! Yesterday, I signed up for a half marathon. Eek! It's the Staten Island half, on October 9th. The end is at home plate in the stadium where the Staten Island Yankees play, which sounded fun to me. Now, you might have followed my various sisterly forays into 5ks (which I apparently have not blogged about) and 10ks, but this a whole other beast. The 10k has been a distance I can run most days now, so I decided it was time for a new challenge, but I'm sort of scared because running 13.1 miles is, objectively speaking, totally bonkers.

The plan as of right now, in order to keep me blogging and training, is to write periodically about the process. I imagine those posts will also include some of my thoughts about body image, my various iterations of getting my body healthier, and also what it means to think about modesty when you don't always feel amazing about your body. But don't worry, the cute outfits will keep coming too.

I'm hoping you all will cheer for me along the way. Also, I'm writing about this so you can keep me accountable. Plus, if you live nearby and want to help me train, I'm always looking for running buddies! Also looking for your favorite songs to get you amped up and ready to go. Please leave suggestions in the comments!

Current countdown: 4 months and 3 days to go. (Yes, that is a long time. Yes, I know I don't need to train yet. But I've always been an overachiever, so why should this be different?)

What I'm wearing: Charter Club dress via Macys (similar here), Kosher Casual shell, Toms shoes (similar here), Fossil bag via DSW

4 comments:

  1. SO EXCITING - I'm a big fan of the half-marathon. If you haven't checked out the Hal Higdon training guides I'd strongly recommend them - really, really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, it was the first thing that came up when I googled :)

      Delete
  2. You have inspired me to find a 5K and set a real goal. You have to start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I would love to do that with you too. Running is better with buddies.

      Delete