Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Striving for Mediocrity!

Remember when I said I was going to take a break from the regular posts to write about Nepal? Well, slight change in plans. You see, I have a lot of jet lag and a terrible cold, plus a comp looming in the very, very near future. My brain is not functioning fully, but I don't want to abandon all of you again so soon after I returned. Since I want to think carefully about how I write about Nepal, that is now on hold. So consider this a break from the break of our regularly scheduled program.


Let me tell you a story. Once upon a time, three sisters decided that they should run a 10k. Super athletic people that they were, their goal was simple: make it to the end, together, without anyone dying on the course. And in honor of this quest for mediocrity, they wore matching t-shirts, designating each of them as "The World's Okayest Runner."


Said 10k was on Roosevelt Island, which was great because it's flat and also very beautiful, right on the water. We made sure to take many pictures before we started running because we are sweaters, and we wanted to look nice and pretty. Here we are:


Don't we look happy? It was actually very fun! So much fun that Simon decided to join in about halfway through, running the last 3 miles or so with us. There's nothing like a 7 year old who can keep up with you despite not wearing sneakers or training to make you feel good about yourself. Ah, to be young again.
Simon joins in!
Having achieved our goal of mediocrity, we will be running a 5k Turkey Trot this Sunday. Simon will be joining us, and we shall wear silly hats. In the meantime, I highly recommend these t-shirts, as they are super soft and allowed us to own our athletic limitations. Okayest forever!
View from the tram to the island
Here I am fake crossing the finish line. Even we were not so slow as to take 1:27 to run 6 miles. You can tell it's me because of my neon pink sneakers. Just because you're sweaty doesn't mean you can't look cute, right?
Note: this is a simulation.
You can get your world's okayest t-shirt (available in a number of varieties so choose your mediocrity!) here.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to cheer on you four more-than-okay runners!
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete