Monday, June 20, 2016

SBL2.0: Outdoor Shakespeare and an Off-Message Top

Growing up, one of my all time favorite musicals was Kiss Me, Kate. This was partly because my babysitter was in a production of it at his high school so we watched it every Saturday night, but also because Cole Porter is a musical genius and I love almost everything he touches.

I am being Shakespearean.
Then, in high school, 10 Things I Hate About You came out. If you don't know, the connection between Kiss Me, Kate and 10 Things I Hate About You is that they are both based on The Taming of the Shrew. I am also pretty sure I have read the play before, but after watching it, I am less sure about that fact...


Because man, is The Taming of the Shrew disturbing. Apart from the overt misogyny, which is really nothing new in Shakespeare, you basically are watching a father sell his daughter into a terrible marriage, and then watching the man who bought her abuse her until she behaves "properly." And this we call a comedy?


I am sorry to say, this is the first time I remember not liking a Shakespeare in the Park production. It's partly that the play is so disturbing, but I found the decision to make it a trailer trash version to also be difficult, as it felt like there were uncomfortable comments on class being made as well. (I.e., only poor people would treat their wives this way. Which is clearly untrue.) Something about it also felt amateur-ish to me, but that might have been partly because it was only the second day of the show so they were still ironing out the kinks. I don't know, the New York Times loved it but a lot of the comments on the review agreed with my group, so do with that what you will.


The experience was still fun, as Shakespeare in the Park always is, and it certainly generated more conversation and food for thought than usual. When going to Shakespeare in the Park, it is important to cover up, as the theater is right next to a lake and so the mosquitos can get bad. I decided to wear a lightweight tunic, though, because it was hot, and then realized when I looked at the pictures that I basically look pregnant. (I'm not, just to be clear.) Oops. Will I wear it again? Probably, because the flowers are so pretty. Will I get offered a seat on the bus? Not impossible. Sometimes that's how things go.


The whole gang, before the play started and we all became extremely disturbed:


If you want to see Taming of the Shrew, you have one more week, so go get in line now! Otherwise, Troilus and Cressida is coming next month.

What I'm wearing: random tunic via Macy's (similar here), LOFT jeans, Downeast Basics cami, Bare Traps sandals (similar here)

No comments:

Post a Comment