Thursday, August 11, 2016

In Praise of Rash Guards and Waterproof Cameras

Out of order blog post! I live so dangerously!


I have my reasons. Namely, it is August. For many, it is vacation season. (If you're me, it's "should be writing my dissertation but instead am doing anything else" season.) So this seemed like a good time to write about two of my favorite summer things: rash guards and underwater cameras.

Rash guard, in action.
 I have written before about my love of rash guards. They serve a great dual purpose by being both modest and sun-protecting. But in the case of this one, they can also be super fun! I love me some tie dye, but as I am not 16 and it is not 1965, I feel silly wearing it. However, swimwear is often a great opportunity to wear things I wouldn't wear otherwise. So there you go!


The second cool thing in this post is my underwater camera! I bought it last year and had great fun with it, but this was my first time hardcore using it (in this case, in the pool.) It feels a little against everything you have ever been told about electronics to bring your camera in the pool. But what cool results!


Photo credit: Simon
These pictures were taken in Washington, CT, at the home of a very generous student of mine, who lent us his house for the weekend. The children, who were with us, enjoyed the whole thing immensely and especially thought that the camera was great fun. Leo especially wanted to play with it all day. I put a stop to using it as a ball to play catch with or a diving ring, but other than that, anything went.


Even Maddie got in on the fun. Not on the picture taking, but on the rash guard and swimming in the lala (that's Maddie for pool.) A beautiful weekend was had by all.



I confess that my rash guard is from Lands End. The honest fact of the matter is that their swimming stuff is, in my opinion, better than almost anyone's. Unfortunately, I have been not especially inclined to buy from them since they apologized for featuring Gloria Steinem because of her feminism. Um, hello Lands End. It's 2016. People should be embarrassed for NOT being feminists. Luckily my swimwear was all acquired before any of this happened, so I don't need to have qualms, but I'm not sure I can recommend buying from them right now.

Big feet, little feet. Photo credit: Leo
 However, I CAN recommend my waterproof camera! Totally worth the less than $150. There are other, better models that cost a lot more, but I was pretty happy with the pictures, especially the one of Simon. You can decide how you want to spend your money. You can find it here.


Maddie loves the lala
Enjoy your August everyone! Keep that skin protected, go outside, and take lots of pictures! See ya next week.

1 comment: