Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The Blog Hits Nepal: A Night Out on the Town (Sort Of)


I can't believe I forgot to write about our night out in Chitwan! What was I thinking?

Anyway. After our elephant ride, we all went back and showered (because we smelled like elephant) and then we got ready for a big night-- Tharu stick dancing! The claim was that this is an old practice, done at important and celebratory occasions. My uncle said-- more likely for tourists. But either way, very festive.


For the occasion, I broke out the perfect maxi from Stitch Fix. I actually have worn it a million times since I got it, but somehow never got around to taking blog pictures. So here it is! I paired it with my royal blue cardigan and red polka dot Toms-- a color explosion! And a super comfortable one! 

The dancing happened in the garden area of the hotel. Very convenient. And they gave us free popcorn! I didn't eat it, but Sarah was sooooo happy. As you can see.


Traditional or touristy, the dancing was super cool, as you can see below:

So much twirling!
Dancing with fire!
Then they invited the audience to join in. I declined, but most of my family joined in, talented dancers that they are. You know that they say-- going to Nepal leads to mixed dancing! Haha! (If you don't get it, don't worry about it. And if you do, you gotta love a good mixed dancing joke.) Anyway.



And as a bonus: there are rolling blackouts in Nepal. Always keep your headlamp on hand in case of sudden pitch darkness. Important life lessons, people.


Modest travel tip: Bring layers! Not only are they good for changing weather and keeping you modest, they also allow you to make multiple outfits out of fewer items of clothing. Cardigans like this are idea.

What I'm wearing: Gilli maxi dress via Stitch Fix, Gap Factory cardigan (similar here), Downeast Basics cami, Toms polka dot shoes (similar here)

No comments:

Post a Comment