Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Love Trumps Hate: The Hope Edition

Sorry to get sort of political for a minute, but hey, it's my blog. I am blogging while I watch the DNC and Hillary Clinton just passed the threshold needed to become the official nominee of the Democratic Party, and I admit that I am crying. As a woman who was raised to believe that I could do and be anything, I didn't think that this milestone would get me, but here I am, at work getting ready to teach and crying over my computer.


I mention this partly because the state of America has me really sad these days. My blatant liberalism aside, when did we become so negative and so divided? When did fear become the predominate emotion that we seem to feel, instead of hope and the belief that we can make the world better?


Two days after the shooting at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, I went to Museum Mile with my friend Marci. Museum Mile takes place up and down Fifth Avenue, where one night a year, all of the museums are open late and free. In addition, the street is closed and there are performers, activities, and people of all shapes, colors and sizes. It really represents the best of New York. It felt very strange to be there doing something fun in light of everything that was happening in the world, but then I noticed something...

A butterfly landed on my skirt. That has to be a good sign, right?
All up and down the street, there were buckets of chalk. And all over, messages of peace and love and hope and solidarity were covering the street, in all different languages and colors. Marci and I got in on the action, in a way that we found strangely therapeutic. Our illustrations are the first two below:






We ended up not going into any museums because the lines were so long and there was so much going on on the street. It was a lovely evening, and helpful to remember that for most people in the world, we really wish to live in a world where love can trump hate. Our children are watching us. What will it be?

The Met's Fountain
The Gugenheim

We are stronger together. Love is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment