Wednesday, May 6, 2020

The Pajama Dress Has Failed Me.


Guys, things are not always easy. Today, something I thought could never happen, did. My pajama dress failed me.

"What do you mean?!" You say in shock. "The whole point of the pajama dress is that it looks like work clothes but feels like pajamas!"

I know. I never thought this day would come. But I woke up this morning feeling out of sorts, and pulled out a pajama dress because I needed something comfy, but also work appropriate because I've been giving oral exams and therefore felt like I shouldn't wear actual pajamas. On went the dress. On went the leggings. On went the loose head covering that never gives me a headache. But somehow I was still very uncomfortable.


So I have surrendered. I am now wearing joggers from Old Navy (they're so soft!), a t-shirt that says "Be the Person Chris Traeger Knows You Can Be," and a Yale sweatshirt from when my older sister started college, which was, let's just say, a number of years ago. I feel much better, at least physically, and I'm working on letting myself feel grumpy on the grump days, without judgement. I'm also planning to make my first ever loaf of sourdough today (I've been making bread since I was a kid, but never sourdough), because fresh bread almost always helps.

When I have to get back on Zoom, I'll probably just throw on one of the head coverings I wear to exercise. I still have to give another exam today, but hopefully my student will forgive me my sweatshirt. These days, we just all have to do the best we can.
I bought these slippers on crazy clearance a bunch of years ago because I guess nobody realized that it's fun to have pink slippers, and they're honestly one of the best purchases I've ever made, except that the laces refuse to stay tied.
On that note, we have inadvertently become a shoe-free house. Y. hasn't been outside in 55 days, which is extremely strange, and while I go for a walk almost every day, I take everything off as soon as I get home, just in case. So I've started wearing slippers almost exclusively, and I have to tell you, I don't hate it. These slippers, by Ugg, somehow make my feet warm but never sweaty, and although they don't have the festive pink color anymore, I recommend them, especially if your house or apartment runs cold, as ours does.


Anyway. The outfit in this picture is not from today, obviously, but instead is from a week where I decided I should get dressed for Shabbat, even though I wasn't leaving the house. It's an old Boden favorite, from I think three (???) years ago, and I love the color and that the fabric is both structured and stretchy. I liked how the colors complimented my head scarf nicely, and it was a gesture of hope that one day, we will dress for outside again. Until then, slippers and sweatpants for all, at least some days.

1 comment:

  1. How do you wear normal sweatpants as a short person? Aren’t they too long?

    ReplyDelete